The article notes that these new publications, both print and online, are less chained to the conventions of mainstream journalism and may be more able to experiment and innovate.
Among the publications cited as examples are:
- SpartanEdge, a video-heavy online publication at Michigan State University (the Web site's tag line: "The future of online campus news is now.")
- The Big Green, also a member of Michigan State's Alternative Media Alliance
- unbound at the College of New Jersey
- Speakeasy at Ohio University
- NU Comment at Northwestern University.
Are you working on a new student publication? Tell us about it by posting a comment here.