The handouts come from visual journalism experts from all over the globe, including:
- Richard Koci Hernandez, San Jose Mercury News: How to train yourself
- Stephanie Grace Lim, Pay Pal: How to jump start your creative mind
- Joseph Hutchinson, Rolling Stone: Advancing in the Newsroom
- Kathy Bogan and Jay Quadracci, Rocky Mountain News: Photo Assignments for Dummies
- Matt Mansfield, SND vice president: A guide to business literacy
- Tracy Collins, Arizona Republic: How to manage creative people
- Mark Leeds, The Guardian: How to use the grid
- Deborah Withey, the Virginian-Pilot: The art of choosing type
- Reinhard Albers, consultant: Ten steps to better legibility for your body copy
- Vince Chariamonte, Buffalo News: The art of selling the big idea
- Eduardo Danilo, Danilo-Black: How to use color
- Kagen McLeod, The National Post: Deconstructing an illustration
The SND site is chock full of other handouts, videos, podcasts and other good stuff, too. Be sure to check out materials from the SND Boston Workshop.
Students interested in design should join the organization; membership for full-time students is only $55 a year ($45 for members of of a SND student affiliate).
UPDATE: See five more handouts in next post.